What to Expect After Boarding Your Pet
Summer is upon us and we all know what that means! It's time for vacation and you need to board your pet. Red Bluff Pet Resort is here to care for your four-legged family members while you're away. When you return your pet will undoubtedly be happy to see you. Knowing the following information can help ease the transition back to home life for your pet. Here are 6 things to help you know what to expect after boarding your pet.
1. Kennel life can be very exciting. New sights and sounds will keep your pet active and engaged. After a long stay in a new environment, your pet may sleep a lot the first couple of days after they get home. We all need our beauty rest.
2. It is common for pets to eat and drink less while boarding. You may notice a change in eating or restroom habits for the first 24 to 48 hours after returning home. Pets boarding for long periods of time may also experience some weight loss. We do regularly check the weight of our extended stay guests and if there are any concerns we will notify you and our veterinarian.
3. Keep a watchful eye for any signs of stress-related illness such as vomiting or mild diarrhea. This is typically stress related and is common during and after boarding, but if your pet is not back to normal within 24 to 48 hours contact us or consult with your veterinarian.
4. It is not unusual for pets to drink large quantities of water after arriving home. We assure you that your pet had plenty of water to drink during their stay. Pets often react to excitement by guzzling water, so supervisor your pet's water consumption at first or offer ice cubes to prevent upset stomach.
5. We recommend treating your pets for fleas and ticks prior to boarding. While we do take measures to prevent fleas and ticks in and around our facility, your pet spend time outside and in close quarters with other pets during their stay. Your vet can recommend a variety of great flea and tick products.
6. Change makes many pets excited while others get nervous or anxious. Give your pet some personalized attention, playtime, petting, or brushing to get him or her through the excitement stage and help them get back to their normal routine.
At Red Bluff Pet Resort we strive to keep your pet happy and healthy while you are away. We are always happy to answer any questions you might have about your pet's stay. We are looking forward to spending time with your pets this summer.